book recommendations

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

book recommendations

Post by Rubber Band Man on October 29th 2015, 2:45 pm

i want to get into reading outside of school assignments but i have trouble finding quality shit. help.
avatar
Rubber Band Man

Posts : 1616
volume of testosterone : 75180
Join date : 2014-10-25
Age : 17
Location : Oxford, Mississippi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: book recommendations

Post by He. on October 29th 2015, 2:55 pm

A History of the World in 6 Glasses
avatar
He.
Grand Mac Daddy Big Mac

Posts : 5765
volume of testosterone : 144092
Join date : 2014-09-01
Age : 17
Location : florida swamp

View user profile http://www.otthunderdome.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: book recommendations

Post by carl on November 2nd 2015, 6:41 am

i've heard fahrenheit 451 is good
avatar
carl

Posts : 459
volume of testosterone : 4620
Join date : 2014-09-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: book recommendations

Post by cya on May 6th 2016, 2:40 pm

read anything by john scalzi

cya
Unamerican

Posts : 10540
volume of testosterone : -83277
Join date : 2014-11-26
Location : cya

View user profile http://www.legacy.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: book recommendations

Post by toby on May 6th 2016, 2:51 pm

i know it's kinda lame but here
1984
fahrenheit 451

stuff that i liked but is somewhat kidish
chocolate war and its sequel
avatar
toby
Toby

Posts : 5900
volume of testosterone : 117621
Join date : 2014-09-15
Age : 46
Location : toby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: book recommendations

Post by OAKY SLAVE on May 6th 2016, 3:23 pm

stephen king

_________________
TRICK OR TREAT TRICK OR TREAT
avatar
OAKY SLAVE
hello?
hello?

Posts : 5050
volume of testosterone : 217590
Join date : 2014-09-01
Age : 18
Location : from tha slums of shaolin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: book recommendations

Post by professional crybaby on May 6th 2016, 3:55 pm

room wrote:read anything by john scalzi
scalzi is basically vox day if he was a leftist, don't waste your fucking time

here's some actual recommendations i have on hand right now

1493: Uncovering the New World Columbus Created by Charles C. Mann - basically an overview of the changes that were brought on across the world by the columbian exchange, pretty cool and also full of shit you probably weren't aware of

The Bully Pulpit by Doris Kearns Goodwin - a very long, very comprehensive book on theodore roosevelt, william howard taft, and the muckracking journalists of the time. really fucking cool and hard to put down, and it's long as fuck to boot.

A History of the American People by Paul Johnson - also long as fuck and comprehensive, basically goes through the entire history of america up to the 1990s

History of the Russian Revolution by Leon Trotsky - really just sorta speaks for itself

Comrades and Strangers by Michael Harrold - an interesting book written by a man who spent a significant portion of time in north korea, and made many friends along the way. definitely worth reading just for the premise alone, but it's also just something you don't often get to hear about
avatar
professional crybaby
Duke of Dabs

Posts : 22588
volume of testosterone : 8374
Join date : 2014-09-01
Age : 41
Location : and in the end, someone had to do that job

View user profile http://fudgiefighteria.com

Back to top Go down

Re: book recommendations

Post by cya on May 6th 2016, 4:04 pm

rt i dont know who vox day is but is everybody some kind of monster in your eyes

i read his books, which by the way include zero political shoehorning, and they're good
wtf

also nonfiction aaa im so burnt out on that stuff

cya
Unamerican

Posts : 10540
volume of testosterone : -83277
Join date : 2014-11-26
Location : cya

View user profile http://www.legacy.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: book recommendations

Post by toby on May 6th 2016, 4:09 pm

room wrote:rt i dont know who vox day is but is everybody some kind of monster in your eyes

i read his books, which by the way include zero political shoehorning, and they're good
wtf

also nonfiction aaa im so burnt out on that stuff
he's rt
his whole charm comes from the fact that everyone sucks in his eyes and he's not afraid to give you whatever reason he thinks that's the case
avatar
toby
Toby

Posts : 5900
volume of testosterone : 117621
Join date : 2014-09-15
Age : 46
Location : toby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: book recommendations

Post by professional crybaby on May 6th 2016, 4:11 pm

vox day is someone who by most standards is a radical right-winger. he's mostly known for the rabid puppies and pissing social justice warriors off
avatar
professional crybaby
Duke of Dabs

Posts : 22588
volume of testosterone : 8374
Join date : 2014-09-01
Age : 41
Location : and in the end, someone had to do that job

View user profile http://fudgiefighteria.com

Back to top Go down

Re: book recommendations

Post by cya on May 6th 2016, 4:12 pm

and what does he have to do with scalzi

cya
Unamerican

Posts : 10540
volume of testosterone : -83277
Join date : 2014-11-26
Location : cya

View user profile http://www.legacy.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: book recommendations

Post by professional crybaby on May 6th 2016, 4:16 pm

room wrote:and what does he have to do with scalzi
scalzi is an idiot who likes to le ebin shoehorn his progressive af agenda into literally everything just like vox day

he also does not like vox day and the two have a hilarious spat which in part lead to the creation of the rabid puppies to fuck with the hugo awards
avatar
professional crybaby
Duke of Dabs

Posts : 22588
volume of testosterone : 8374
Join date : 2014-09-01
Age : 41
Location : and in the end, someone had to do that job

View user profile http://fudgiefighteria.com

Back to top Go down

Re: book recommendations

Post by cya on May 6th 2016, 4:21 pm

i have seen none of this, read redshirts, agent to the stars, old mans war I

believe me i have seen shoehorning authors, i read two of cory doctorows books on a car trip, jesus christ

cya
Unamerican

Posts : 10540
volume of testosterone : -83277
Join date : 2014-11-26
Location : cya

View user profile http://www.legacy.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: book recommendations

Post by cya on May 6th 2016, 4:23 pm

whatever he says on his obligatory author blog i dont curr, btw
his books are good and free of agenda and thats all i care about.

cya
Unamerican

Posts : 10540
volume of testosterone : -83277
Join date : 2014-11-26
Location : cya

View user profile http://www.legacy.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: book recommendations

Post by Rubber Band Man on May 21st 2016, 10:46 pm

viubladan ul yangnos wrote:
room wrote:read anything by john scalzi
scalzi is basically vox day if he was a leftist, don't waste your fucking time

here's some actual recommendations i have on hand right now

1493: Uncovering the New World Columbus Created by Charles C. Mann - basically an overview of the changes that were brought on across the world by the columbian exchange, pretty cool and also full of shit you probably weren't aware of

The Bully Pulpit by Doris Kearns Goodwin - a very long, very comprehensive book on theodore roosevelt, william howard taft, and the muckracking journalists of the time. really fucking cool and hard to put down, and it's long as fuck to boot.

A History of the American People by Paul Johnson - also long as fuck and comprehensive, basically goes through the entire history of america up to the 1990s

History of the Russian Revolution by Leon Trotsky - really just sorta speaks for itself

Comrades and Strangers by Michael Harrold - an interesting book written by a man who spent a significant portion of time in north korea, and made many friends along the way. definitely worth reading just for the premise alone, but it's also just something you don't often get to hear about
ill look into some of these
avatar
Rubber Band Man

Posts : 1616
volume of testosterone : 75180
Join date : 2014-10-25
Age : 17
Location : Oxford, Mississippi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: book recommendations

Post by cya on June 1st 2016, 10:38 am

rtcity is mad gay

cya
Unamerican

Posts : 10540
volume of testosterone : -83277
Join date : 2014-11-26
Location : cya

View user profile http://www.legacy.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: book recommendations

Post by professional crybaby on June 1st 2016, 10:45 am

room wrote:rtcity is mad gay
READ A BOOK READ A BOOK READ A MOTHERFUCKING BOOK
avatar
professional crybaby
Duke of Dabs

Posts : 22588
volume of testosterone : 8374
Join date : 2014-09-01
Age : 41
Location : and in the end, someone had to do that job

View user profile http://fudgiefighteria.com

Back to top Go down

Re: book recommendations

Post by cya on June 1st 2016, 2:35 pm

buy some land, buy some land, what
FUCK SPINNIN RIMS

cya
Unamerican

Posts : 10540
volume of testosterone : -83277
Join date : 2014-11-26
Location : cya

View user profile http://www.legacy.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: book recommendations

Post by Flammarcos on August 22nd 2016, 8:37 pm

this is gonna sound maxhomogay but bestsellers and classics lists cross-verified with goodreads and librarything reviews are typically a good way to start and yes i know this thread is old

anything by kurt vonnegut though
avatar
Flammarcos
Afro Fagmaxhomogay

Posts : 4206
volume of testosterone : -264057
Join date : 2016-08-21
Age : 421
Location : charles wingate's stomach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: book recommendations

Post by oaky on August 22nd 2016, 10:06 pm

Flamdini wrote:this is gonna sound maxhomogay but bestsellers and classics lists cross-verified with goodreads and librarything reviews are typically a good way to start and yes i know this thread is old

anything by kurt vonnegut though
vonnegoober was a commie
avatar
oaky
STILL UNSTOPPABLE

Posts : 9504
volume of testosterone : 267187
Join date : 2013-07-02
Age : 93
Location : AMERICA

View user profile http://www.otthunderdome.com

Back to top Go down

Re: book recommendations

Post by oaky on August 22nd 2016, 10:06 pm

avatar
oaky
STILL UNSTOPPABLE

Posts : 9504
volume of testosterone : 267187
Join date : 2013-07-02
Age : 93
Location : AMERICA

View user profile http://www.otthunderdome.com

Back to top Go down

Re: book recommendations

Post by Flammarcos on August 23rd 2016, 3:19 pm

oaky wrote:
Flamdini wrote:this is gonna sound maxhomogay but bestsellers and classics lists cross-verified with goodreads and librarything reviews are typically a good way to start and yes i know this thread is old

anything by kurt vonnegut though
vonnegoober was a commie
"Vonnegut expressed disappointment that communism and socialism seemed to be unsavory topics to the average American, and believed that they may offer beneficial substitutes to contemporary social and economic systems.[104]"
you're just making me like him more dae
harrison bergeron is a really good piece though- a great takedown of what marx would call "barracks communism" and what a lot of the pardon the term SJW types espouse now. i actually had to read that one for english at some point before ammy pestered me into reading breakfast of champions, which was also good
avatar
Flammarcos
Afro Fagmaxhomogay

Posts : 4206
volume of testosterone : -264057
Join date : 2016-08-21
Age : 421
Location : charles wingate's stomach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: book recommendations

Post by Mac B on August 23rd 2016, 3:54 pm

i gotta read The Last Lecture for AP lit and I ain't even started on it lol i'll read it over the weekend
there was also an option for one called tuesdays with morrie, which seems like a pretty stellar book
avatar
Mac B
CASIO MT220

Posts : 5465
volume of testosterone : 203672
Join date : 2015-04-20
Age : 154
Location : sweet baby rays

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: book recommendations

Post by Flammarcos on August 23rd 2016, 7:23 pm

>ap lit
hope you had a nice life
avatar
Flammarcos
Afro Fagmaxhomogay

Posts : 4206
volume of testosterone : -264057
Join date : 2016-08-21
Age : 421
Location : charles wingate's stomach

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: book recommendations

Post by Mac B on August 23rd 2016, 7:50 pm

fuck you talkin bout son im a god at literature
avatar
Mac B
CASIO MT220

Posts : 5465
volume of testosterone : 203672
Join date : 2015-04-20
Age : 154
Location : sweet baby rays

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum